The BCCI/IPL, on Monday, despatched an announcement confirming two cricketers from the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) camp – Varun Chakravarthy and Sandeep Warrier – examined constructive and the match between KKR and Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB), scheduled for Monday has been postponed for now.
“The medical staff can also be figuring out the shut and informal contacts of the 2 constructive instances throughout the 48 hours previous to accumulating the pattern,” the BCCI assertion added.
Nonetheless, it isn’t simply the Knight Riders camp battling Covid and in a state of panic in the intervening time.
Three members of the Chennai Super Kings franchise, together with bowling coach Laxmipathy Balaji have additionally examined constructive. These assessments have been RT-PCR assessments, carried out over the past 48 hours. Balaji was within the CSK dressing room of their final match vs Mumbai Indians. Nonetheless, fast antigen assessments carried out on Monday afternoon indicated a unfavorable take a look at for all three, spreading huge confusion inside the ecosystem.
Proper now, franchises are unable to find out whether or not to belief the assessments at first go or do a number of assessments earlier than arriving at a conclusion.
🚨 #IPL2021 ANNOUNCEMENT: Tonight’s match #KKRvRCB has been rescheduled. Extra particulars quickly.
— KolkataKnightRiders (@KKRiders) 1620029856000
“What if constructive assessments are being concluded as unfavorable? Aren’t we risking going to the bottom each day? ask sources concerned with the league.
The BCCI is figuring out the extent to which instances have unfold inside the CSK franchise, is busy contact-tracing and asking groups to repeat assessments on a unbroken foundation.
“They don’t actually have a central bio-bubble to trace this. The medical firm to which this was outsourced has completed a shoddy job. The medical officer of the BCCI must be questioned on the Commonplace Working Procedures (SOP) that have been put in place. This can be a big mess,” IPL stakeholders advised TOI on Monday.
UPDATE: IPL reschedules right now’s #KKRvRCB match after two KKR gamers take a look at constructive. #VIVOIPL Particulars -… https://t.co/Vk4Bed2j0t
— IndianPremierLeague (@IPL) 1620027637000
On Monday morning, a high BCCI official flew to one of many cities, the place franchises are based mostly out of, with greater than 500 fast antigen take a look at kits. “Why have been they already not in place earlier than groups had arrived?” requested these monitoring developments.
Official Announcement:At this time’s match between KKR and RCB has been postponed by the BCCI as per IPL Security Guidelin… https://t.co/3rXAxmP7x4
— Royal Challengers Bangalore (@RCBTweets) 1620027503000
Every franchise is privately prepared to confess that:
1) There’s critical panic within the camp and cricket is the very last thing on their minds
2) There’s doubt over whether or not all contributors within the IPL – BCCI, franchises/gamers, officers, occasion organisers, broadcasters – are revealing constructive instances, strictly following the SOP and respecting the protocols of a ‘bio-bubble’.
“Is there a bio-bubble within the first place, exterior of what the franchises – no less than some – have constructed for themselves?” ask these within the know.
Optimistic instances have hit the IPL solely after journey resumed within the final week of April. Originally of the match, there have been instances due to the journey. There’s extra journey occurring over the approaching weeks.
Beneath the present schedule, the IPL is subsequent going to shift to Kolkata and Bangalore – two cities which might be reeling in the intervening time due to the virus. The instances in Bangalore have been relentlessly rising this week whereas in Kolkata, as locals say, “nearly 50% of town is constructive proper now”.
Can the present version of the IPL realistically proceed? The stakeholders will not be prepared but to ask this overtly.
Nonetheless, privately, the identical stakeholders are elevating critical questions and making their particular person stance clear. Listed here are some…
* The IPL has to cease until the BCCI thinks it’s extra vital than the security of gamers and everyone else concerned.
* Agree there’s loads at stake and it’s additionally an vital instrument of distraction for these caught inside their properties. However that may’t occur at the price of negligence. Both shift the IPL to at least one venue or take a break.
* The BCCI was strongly suggested to shift it to the UAE as soon as once more. They wished to guard the concept of how India is a secure venue for the T20 World Cup. Now it’s reached a stage the place the world is saying the T20 World Cup must be shifted.
* The franchises have been saying it from Day One which the style wherein this yr’s version has been organised, given the circumstances prevailing, is harmful and the BCCI must revise the protocols.
* Shifting to Kolkata and Bangalore for matches is essentially the most harmful factor to do within the given situation.
TOI understands that Monday’s match between KKR and RCB was postponed solely after “sure officers” put their foot down.
It’s time now for BCCI to take a “very sensible name” on the matter on the earliest.